US Foods HR Generalist - DC in Birmingham, Alabama
Responsible for the Human Resources practices and policies under the direction of the Region HR Director-Specialty. Responsibilities include recruitment, policy interpretation and administration, employee relations, training, compensation, leave administration, recordkeeping and other duties as necessary to ensure maximum effectiveness of the Human Resources function. Provides coaching and counseling support to management and supervisors in the areas of employee relations, performance management, training, and policy interpretation. Facilitates timely resolution of employee relations issues while maintaining an appropriate balance between employee and management advocacy. Supports Operations with the administration of the collective bargaining agreement(s) in union facilities.
Participate in the development of department goals and objectives, and execute plans to meet these goals. Advise supervisors and managers on application of Company policies to ensureconsistency and accurate policy interpretation interdepartmentally.
Investigate and resolve employee complaints timely using informed decision-making skills. Escalate more significant issues to the Area HR Business Partner for resolution.
Counsel managers and supervisors on disciplinary actions, procedures and appropriate documentation. Review performance improvement plans and provide feedback to leaders prior to communicating with employees.
Collaborate with the Region HR Director-Specialty Operationsto develop programs and processes that promote a positive work environment. Conduct pro-active employee relations activities such asstructured feedback sessions and employee recognition programs.
Conduct recruitment efforts for administrative and hourly employees. Meet with hiring managers to review job descriptions and confirm skills required for job openings. Review qualifications of potential candidates responding to job postings and facilitate the selection process. Assist with determining compensation offers. Support recruiting efforts by attending job fairs, college recruiting fairs and trade shows. Arrange for advertising and posting of job vacancies,and notify eligible workers of position availability. Maintain documentation in accordance with OFCCP requirements.
Facilitate new-employee orientation and ensure appropriate onboarding process of new employees.
Counsel managers, supervisors, and employees about on-the-job and formal training opportunities to develop new skills and prepare for advancement. Support managers in preparing Individual Development Plans
Maintain documentation relating to personnel activities such as staffing, recruitment, training, grievances, and disciplinary actions. Maintain personnel files.
Participate in interactive discussions with employees in compliance with ADA and support the Workers Compensation Program.
Manage Distribution Center’s annual Affirmative Action Plan. Ensure good faith outreach effort compliance, sharing openings with appropriate recruiting sources and educating managers on proper interviewing, selection and recordkeeping guidelines. Ensure proper administration of the Taleo Applicant Tracking System.
Partner with HR Shared Services to maintain Human Resource Information System records and produce reports.
Other duties assigned by manager.
EOE Race/Color/Religion/Sex/Sexual Orientation/Gender Identity/National Origin/Protected Veteran/Disability Status
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience required; SHRM certification desirable
- Minimum 4 years HR experience with at least 2 in professional (non-administrative) role. Experience consulting with and advising small management teams.
- Prior experience working in a collective bargaining environment (union facilities only) preferred. Prior experience with affirmative action requirements at a Federal government contractor preferred.
- Familiarity with legislation concerning employment such as: ADA, FMLA, EEOC, FLSA, Title VII.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong organizational and time management skills. Ability to make timely and informed decisions and understand when to escalate issues.
- Working knowledge of MS Office software required; HRIS familiarity; experience with applicant tracking programs and dispositioning of applicants preferred; effective presentation skills; ability to interface with all employee levels.
Primary Location: Birmingham-AL
Schedule: Full-time Shift: Day Job
Job Function: Generalist
Job Level: Individual Contributor